Syncro SVN Client

Please let me specify an external merge tool

Are you missing a feature? Request it's implementation here.

Please let me specify an external merge tool

Postby BSmithson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:48 am

I would like to use Araxis for merging. You currently let me specify an external diff'er, but not an external merge.

http://www.araxis.com/merge/scm_integration.html shows integration to Subversion and also TortoiseSVN.

It would also be great if it would support the merge to common ancestor from inside of SynchroSVNClient.
BSmithson

Re: Please let me specify an external merge tool

Postby sorin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Hello,

BSmithson wrote:I would like to use Araxis for merging. You currently let me specify an external diff'er, but not an external merge.

We will consider allowing the configuration of an external tool for merge operations in a future version.

BSmithson wrote:It would also be great if it would support the merge to common ancestor from inside of SynchroSVNClient.

By default the SVN merge operation is executed on two trees of files that have a common ancestor tree. The merge operation ignores the common ancestor only if you specify that you want to ignore it when you run the merge operation. If this is what you mean by "merge to common ancestor" then it will be implemented in a future version.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby vm57us » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi,

I saw in the actual version that we can configure an external app - like Araxis Merge.
But it doen't work yet...

I did:

Preferences > Diff >[X] Compare With External Application
/Applications/Araxis Merge.app ${firstFile} ${secondFile} ${ancestorFile}

Am I doing something wrong?
vm57us

Postby Florin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 am

Hello,

To use an external tool, you have to configure correctly Syncro SVN Client to use it (Araxis Merge for you). For this, you have to read the documentation of the tool you want to use in order to see how you can integrate it with other products, how can you call it from another application, what are the supported options etc.

From what I read on the Araxis Merge documentation, you are using the wrong command to launch the tool from Syncro SVN Client. You have to use "compare", not the .app launcher. Here it is the full information about how to configure Araxis Merge in order to use it as a tool from Syncro SVN Client:
http://www.araxis.com/merge_mac/command_line.html

So, you have to:
1. integrate correctly Araxis Merge with Mac OS X (see the section about installing the command-line utilities in the documentation) in order for Syncro SVN Client to correctly launch the "compare" tool;
2. I think a correct example of a command-line to be used should be (based on Araxis Merge documentation):
Code: Select all
compare -wait -a1 -3 ancestorFile leftFile rightFile

where the documentation says that:
  • -3 specifies that will be a 3-way comparison
  • -a1 specifies that the ancestor file is the first one
  • the rest of the arguments should be replaced with the patters used by Syncro SVN Client to transfer file paths to the tool
Note: all arguments specified in the command-line are the ones supported by the tool you want to use, so you should find a full list of supported options in the tool's documentation. You have to replace the arguments which specify the files to be compared with the patterns used by Syncro SVN Client to transfer the file paths (${firstFile}, ${secondFile}, ${ancestorFile})

Now, the Araxis Merge documentation indicates that the tool has different command lines in order to perform 2-way and 3-way comparison (the default is 2-way, for 3-way you have to use -3 argument), so I don't know how this will work for comparing 2-way files and 3-way files since Syncro SVN Client allows only one tool/command-line to be used.
In the best case, the follwing command-line might work for both comparison types:
Code: Select all
compare -wait -3 -a3 ${firstFile} ${secondFile} ${ancestorFile}

In the above example, the ancestor file is placed the last one in the command-line, so Syncro SVN Client will transfer the two files needed for 2-way comparison and will not send any ancestor file, but the ${ancestorFile} could be considered as an error by Araxis Merge, so you will have to see if this works for both 2-way and 3-way comparison or you will have to figure out another workaround.

As a final note, we plan to introduce support for multiple external tools in a future version of Syncro SVN Client, which should help more in this situations.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Return to Feature requests