Syncro SVN Client

I am getting a "Browsing error"

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

I am getting a "Browsing error"

Postby wcboyd » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Hello All,

I am new to subversion and Syncro SVN Client.
I have setup my subversion server on a local Linux box (SUSE 10.3) and it appears to be running fine.
I have setup the repository on w/n Syncro and it looks like this:
Code: Select all
svn://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/repos

It does prompt me for my user id & pw which I put in, but then when I click on the "+" next to the repository I get:
Browsing error: svn: File Not Found: revision 0, path '/repo'.

Any thoughts on what I have managed to mess up?

Thanks,

Craig
wcboyd

Re: I am getting a "Browsing error"

Postby sorin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:11 pm

Hello,

It seems you did not create a SVN repository at the location which you try to access in Syncro SVN Client. Did you create a SVN repository in the SVN server application that you installed on the Linux box? First you have to create a SVN repository in the SVN server by specifying the root folder of the repository using commands of the SVN server application. You can access the SVN repository with a SVN client application only after the repository is created on the server.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby wcboyd » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:50 pm

Sorin,

I had created a SVN repository using the following command:
Code: Select all
svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /srv/svn/repos

That is the point I am at.
Does that help?
And yes, I am a complete n00b when it comes to subversion. I am "reading the fine manual" it is just taking time to wrap my head around how subversion does things.

Thanks,

Craig
wcboyd

Postby sorin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Does /srv/svn/repos contain any SVN repository? What does the folder /srv/svn/repos contain? Did you map in the SVN server configuration the /repos path of the SVN server to the /srv/svn/repos path on disk?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby wcboyd » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Sorin,

/srv/svn/repos contains the following:
Directories:
conf
dav
db
hooks
locks
Files:
README.txt
format

Just a few minutes ago I was able to create an svn directory by:
svn co file:///srv/svn/repos empdir
svn mkdir file:///srv/svn/repos/empdir -m"- created."

I can now point SyncroSVN client to it and sign in and I was able to add my source files to it. So I think I am up and working now. But for future reference if I should ever have to do this from scratch again before SyncroSVN client can successfully connect and see anything I have to first create a directory on the server, right? (In addition to all the other setup tasks).

Thanks,

Craig
wcboyd

Postby wcboyd » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Sorin,

I do have some follow on questions:
1) I checked in the new source files using "import" I assume that was correct, yes?
2) I also assume that by doing import from that directory those files and that directory are now under version control, yes?
3) From this point I just need to work as normal and syncronize either at the beginning or end of the day, yes?
4) In order to create other seperate projects within svn I should follow the steps I mentioned a moment ago about checking and then doing a mkdir for those, yes?

Thank you!

Craig
wcboyd

Postby sorin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:09 pm

wcboyd wrote:But for future reference if I should ever have to do this from scratch again before SyncroSVN client can successfully connect and see anything I have to first create a directory on the server, right? (In addition to all the other setup tasks).

Yes, you have to create a directory and fill it with the content of the SVN repository on the server before accessing it with a SVN client application. But you can execute the checkout operation (svn co ...) for checking out a local working copy of the SVN repository from the Syncro SVN Client too. You do that with the action Check Out executed in the Repository browser view of Syncro SVN Client.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby sorin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:12 pm

wcboyd wrote:1) I checked in the new source files using "import" I assume that was correct, yes?
2) I also assume that by doing import from that directory those files and that directory are now under version control, yes?
3) From this point I just need to work as normal and syncronize either at the beginning or end of the day, yes?

Yes, the import operation adds a directory to the SVN repository. After checking out a working copy from the repository you just synchronize it by updating/committing from/to the SVN repository.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Return to Common Problems