Syncro SVN Client

Error: Couldn't load main class.

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

Error: Couldn't load main class.

Postby MortenMacFly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 am

I have the following error when I try to run "Syncro SVN Client.exe" from a filemanager:

---------------------------
Error
Couldn't load main class.
OK

Any ideas? It works if I use the batch file "syncroSVNClient.bat" btw - but this leaves an ugly command prompt open that cannot be closed unless SyncroSVN closes.
MortenMacFly

Re: Error: Couldn't load main class.

Postby sorin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:44 pm

Hello,

Can you check that the install kit was downloaded correctly on your computer by checking the MD5 sum of your download? The correct MD5 sums for both the Windows kit that includes a JVM and the Windows kit without a JVM are on the Download page.

What is the complete error message? Is it only Couldn't load main class? Can you scroll in the error message? Can you post here a screenshot with the error dialog?

Did you install the Windows kit with JVM or without JVM? If you use the kit without JVM what are the values of the Windows variables JAVA_HOME and JDK_HOME and what is the output of the following command executed in the folder JAVA_HOME/bin or JDK_HOME/jre/bin?

Code: Select all
java -version

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby MortenMacFly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for the help! :-)

sorin wrote:Can you check [...] the MD5 sum of your download?

Done that - it's ok (otherwise the installer would have errored most likely anyways).

sorin wrote:What is the complete error message?

Exactly as shown above. This is basically a screenshot I took with CTRL+C from the original error message. That's a common way on Windows.

sorin wrote:Is it only Couldn't load main class?
Can you scroll in the error message?
Can you post here a screenshot with the error dialog?

Yes, no, and see above. ;-)

sorin wrote:Did you install the Windows kit with JVM or without JVM?

Without. I have JDK 1.6 installed.

sorin wrote:what are the values of the Windows variables JAVA_HOME and JDK_HOME

JAVA_HOME=C:\Devel\JavaSDK
JAVA_SDK=
(JAVA_SDK is empty - in other words not set.)

sorin wrote:output of the following command executed in the folder JAVA_HOME/bin or JDK_HOME/jre/bin?
Code: Select all
java -version

C:\Devel\JavaJDK\bin>java -version
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_04-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)

Hopefully this helps. Google revealed that this might be a problem with an incorrect manifest file of a JAR archive. Thus an entry, called "Main-Class" is missing. I don't know if that helps... it's definitely out of my scope.
MortenMacFly

Postby MortenMacFly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Oh! I forgot something important which might be a reason:

I am *not* an administrator on my machine. So probably this has to do with access restrictions? Although other Java programs (that also ship with an EXE) work just fine. Access to the SyncroSVN folder is fully granted (I could even remove it).
MortenMacFly

Postby MortenMacFly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:53 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

After I mentioned that I have full access rights to the folder I tried installing the same application (as limited user) in another folder. (That just came into my mind.) Guess what: The installation was identical but the ".install4j" folder was missing in the old installation! (I really have no idea how this happened to be honest.) If you have that folder everything is back to normal.

It's funny to notice anyways that in both installations the batch file variant of running SyncoSVN worked properly. Just the EXE is somehow coupled to that ".install4j" folder... Whyever.
MortenMacFly

Postby sorin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Hello,

The installer always creates a subfolder .install4j in the install folder. Do you know why it was missing?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby MortenMacFly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 pm

sorin wrote:Do you know why it was missing?

No, unfortunately not, sorry. Probably a backup/cleanup process of the HDD?! That's not under my control. :-(
MortenMacFly

Return to Common Problems