Syncro SVN Client

accessing repo without svn://

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

accessing repo without svn://

Postby myfootsmells » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:04 am

i have a linux NAS with a SVN Repo on there. windows users are able to checkout files by using file:// but when i tried using cifs:// and smb:// it says this isn't supported.

how else can a mac connect to that repo? i can't install the svn server on the NAS because it's a NAS.

thanks..

michael
myfootsmells

Re: accessing repo without svn://

Postby sorin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Hello,

The supported methods of connecting to a SVN server are HTTP, SVN, HTTPS, SVN + SSH and FILE. If you cannot install a SVN server on the computer with the SVN repository you can use HTTP or HTTPS for accessing the repository. That means you have to configure an Apache server for accessing the repository.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby myfootsmells » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Since it's a NAS and I can't install anything on it, I'm pretty much out of luck?

Michael

sorin wrote:Hello,

The supported methods of connecting to a SVN server are HTTP, SVN, HTTPS, SVN + SSH and FILE. If you cannot install a SVN server on the computer with the SVN repository you can use HTTP or HTTPS for accessing the repository. That means you have to configure an Apache server for accessing the repository.

Regards,
Sorin
myfootsmells

Postby myfootsmells » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:14 am

i think Syncro SVN should think about including the ability to connect to the repo using cifs:// and/or smb://

this is VERY limiting to Mac users especially when repo's are located on a NAS that cannot install the SVN server.

michael
myfootsmells

Postby sorin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:24 am

Hello,

SMB and CIFS are used for other purposes, not for connecting to a SVN repository. A SVN repository is accessed usually with a SVN server application that communicates with a SVN Client application or with a special module of the Apache server as I mentioned already. Both methods of accessing a SVN repository are not difficult and a typical server machine should allow installing at least one of the two types of server.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby myfootsmells » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 am

Sorin

It's a NAS. A box that I bought with lots of hard drives that you plug into the network and it works. I don't have access to the NAS. I can't edit it, I can't root in, etc.

Thanks for your help, I was about to purchase copies for our company but I think I'll move on to another product.

Michael

sorin wrote:Hello,

SMB and CIFS are used for other purposes, not for connecting to a SVN repository. A SVN repository is accessed usually with a SVN server application that communicates with a SVN Client application or with a special module of the Apache server as I mentioned already. Both methods of accessing a SVN repository are not difficult and a typical server machine should allow installing at least one of the two types of server.

Regards,
Sorin
myfootsmells

Return to Common Problems