Syncro SVN Client

Files get reverted to previous base after commit

Other Syncro SVN Client issues not covered by the other forums.

Files get reverted to previous base after commit

Postby zeroX » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi guys

me and my colleagues sometimes experience some strange behavior in SynchroSVN(Syncro SVN Client 3.2, build 2008061012).

#1 We sync to the base
#2 Edit our files
#3 Commit

So far so good, our changes are added in the repository.

Now sometimes it happens that our files get reverted to the #1 situation, where we lost our changes and our editor says content has been changed.

Did anyone also experience these problems?

Greets
zeroX

Re: Files get reverted to previous base after commit

Postby sorin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Hello,

What do you mean the editor says the content was changed? Does the working copy view show the files as modified locally, that is the files contain local modifications that are not committed to the repository? It is possible that the files were modified on disk by other application. For example if the files are generated by other application it is possible that the other application was executed and generated the files again. You can check that by running the action Show History on such a file from the Working Copy view of Syncro SVN Client and checking if the latest revision of that file from the SVN repository is the current revision from the working copy. If the first revision (the most recent revision from the repository) from the History list is displayed with a bold font then you have the working copy synchronized with the most recent revision from the repository and the file was modified on disk by other application.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby zeroX » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:54 pm

sorin wrote:What do you mean the editor says the content was changed?

This is a feature from the editor Jedit. If a file has been changed without you typing in the editor it shows you this warning and offers to reload the content of the file or ignore the message.

Does the working copy view show the files as modified locally, that is the files contain local modifications that are not committed to the repository?

No, the working copy sees incoming changes.

It is possible that the files were modified on disk by other application. For example if the files are generated by other application it is possible that the other application was executed and generated the files again. You can check that by running the action Show History on such a file from the Working Copy view of Syncro SVN Client and checking if the latest revision of that file from the SVN repository is the current revision from the working copy. If the first revision (the most recent revision from the repository) from the History list is displayed with a bold font then you have the working copy synchronized with the most recent revision from the repository and the file was modified on disk by other application.

In some way I think it has to do with Jedit, currently i'm developping with Zend Studio and i still didn't encounter the problem.

If we have this "problem" again I will check out the revision of the working copy and base revision.
I'll add info to this topic if there's more info.

greets
Tim
zeroX

Postby sorin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:13 pm

The warning message of JEdit means that the file was modified by other application while it was opened also in JEdit. Did other application modified the file on disk?

If you find some steps for reproducing the problem of reverting to the file content that preceded the commit operation in Syncro SVN Client please let us know.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby zeroX » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:02 pm

sorin wrote:If you find some steps for reproducing the problem of reverting to the file content that preceded the commit operation in Syncro SVN Client please let us know.

Here i am again :)

I think this hasn't anything to do with Jedit or any other editor and could be seen as a bug in syncro svn, not that big problem though. Just reproduced the problem.

The situation would be like this:
1 - We synchronize our WC with the repository
2 - I see only outgoing changes so i review them
3 - Another developer commits (a)
4 - I commit these files (b)
5 - Syncro Svn synchronizes again and says i have incoming changes(a).
6 - I right click on the project's root and say update
7 - Incoming changes get applied(a), my files(b) reverted to the version before my commit(a)(whilst in this previous version none of these files were changed and should be left untouched).

This explains the strange behavior, if i do another synchronize it shows me that i have incoming changes for my own files that i just committed. Updating them again solves all problems.

I think it should not change any other files other then the ones that aren't set to the head of the repository in such situation.
zeroX

Postby sorin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Hello,

zeroX wrote:could be seen as a bug in syncro svn, not that big problem though. Just reproduced the problem.

The situation would be like this:
1 - We synchronize our WC with the repository
2 - I see only outgoing changes so i review them
3 - Another developer commits (a)
4 - I commit these files (b)
5 - Syncro Svn synchronizes again and says i have incoming changes(a).
6 - I right click on the project's root and say update
7 - Incoming changes get applied(a), my files(b) reverted to the version before my commit(a)

I am sorry, I cannot reproduce the revert problem. If other SVN user commits file A, I commit file B and after that I do a Synchronize and Update on the root of the working copy then there is no way that the file B is reverted in the working copy to the revision / file content that it had before I committed my file B.

Are files (a) and (b) different in the steps that you specified? If the file sets (a) and (b) have at least one file in common then an error should be reported when you try to commit the files (b) after the other user committed files (a) but before you synchronized your working copy with the repository. Is any error message reported or the files (b) are just reverted to the revision number and content that they had before you committed the files (b)?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby zeroX » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:48 am

No they don't have a file in common.

I'll try to reproduce the error again on a clean repository when i have more time.
zeroX

Postby tavy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 am

Hello,

The situation can be reproduced by following the steps you described in your previous posts:

1. Synchronize with the repository and get a result in the "Synchronize result" view corresponding to the HEAD revision at this moment (for example we can consider the number of the HEAD revision to be 10).
2. Edit one of your working copy files.
3. Commit the modified file to the repository. This way the HEAD revision gets incremented to 11.
4. Update the working copy by using the "Update" action from "Synchronize result" view which will use the revision number at the moment of the synchronization from the first step. This way you will get the content of the files corresponding to the 10th revision and your committed changes from the 11th revision will be reverted.
5. If you synchronize again the revision used for synchronization will be 11 and your committed changes will appear as incoming because in the working copy the revision of the files is 10.

To avoid this situation you must perform a new synchronize operation after you commit your changes and before updating. This way the synchronize result will be computed corresponding to the latest revision available on the repository (11 in our case).

We changed the behavior of the "Update" action to always use the HEAD revision corresponding to the latest modifications on the repository. This fix will be available in the next version which will get released in the near future.

Best Regards,
Octavian.
tavy

Postby zeroX » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:30 pm

This explanation sounds logical! I was thinking it would be something like this.
Thanx for your time and looking forward for the fix 8)
zeroX

Return to Other Issues