Syncro SVN Client

Working Copies

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

Working Copies

Postby cultiv8 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi -

I have successfully setup syncrosvn windows client to connect to my linux server. I have svn+ssh setup to browse the repository. Is there a way to setup ssh to browse working copies? The only way I can brose working copies is by tunneling port 445 (smb) and then mounting a drive. This is incredibly slow when I checkout... (cuz it transfers files to my machine and then back to server)... any ideas?
cultiv8

Re: Working Copies

Postby sorin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 am

Hello,

cultiv8 wrote:Is there a way to setup ssh to browse working copies? The only way I can brose working copies is by tunneling port 445 (smb) and then mounting a drive. This is incredibly slow when I checkout...

Usually the SVN working copy is created on the hard disk of the local computer by the check out action executed on the SVN repository so that the access to the working copy is fast when executing refresh and synchronize operations on the working copy. If you access a SVN working copy by SSH the speed of working with that working copy depends on the speed of your network connection between the local computer and the computer accessed through SSH.

Did you try to execute the check out action on the SVN repository and select the target folder where the working copy will be created to be located on a local drive of the computer instead of a drive accessed through SSH tunneling? Did it work?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby cultiv8 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi, thx for the response. I do not want my working copy on my local machine, I keep it on my linux server. My repository lives here:

/home/cultiv8/repo

And I want to check it out to here:

/home/$USER/public_html

Code does not and should not be located on my local machine. SyncroSVN does a great job of managing the repository from my local machine using svn+ssh. However, to manage a working copy on my linux server, I run RapidSVN through VNC Viewer. Is it possible to manage a working copy located on a linux box through a windows client?
cultiv8

Postby sorin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Hello,

Yes, it is possible. If the Linux directory with the working copy is available on a drive mounted in Windows (for example mounted through Samba) then in Syncro SVN Client you can select the root folder of the working copy in the dialog for adding working copies in the Working Copy view.

The speed of refreshing the content of the Working Copy view by the Refresh action and of running other actions on the working copy will depend on the speed of the network connection that accesses the working copy on the Linux drive. Accessing a working copy in Syncro SVN Client does not depend on the location of the working copy (the local computer or a Linux network drive) because Syncro SVN Client is working on files and folders available in the Windows file system.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby cultiv8 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:38 am

This is exactly how I set it up. However it is so impossibly slow, it honestly took over 60 mins for a 50MB folder to refresh (and I'm on a cable modem and my server is connected to multiple Tier 1 providers!). I even transfered the same file/directory between the two machines in less than 5 minutes through the same mounted drive. Why does it take so much longer through SyncroSVN? Is this because the data is cached on my local machine? Is there a way to speed this up?
cultiv8

Postby sorin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Hello,

We tried the refresh operation with other SVN clients but we did not see better results in a SVN client running on Windows if the working copy is located on a Linux drive accessed by Windows through Samba. It seems that the file access through Samba is significantly slower than direct access to files stored on the local computer. Anyway we will look for ways to make the operation faster.

I hope this helps,
Sorin
sorin

Postby KarboLa » Fri May 01, 2009 9:37 pm

I've been looking for a similar solution: a GUI client to manage svn where both the repository and working copies are located on a remote machine accessed over ssh.

Seems simple enough - just pipe commands and output through an ssh connection. Yet most tools seem to rely on local working copies (with locally mapped network drives as the workaround). Is this really such an unusual config?
KarboLa

Postby sorin » Mon May 04, 2009 9:34 am

Hello,

The working copy should be located on the local computer for fast access. If the working copy is located on other machine the speed depends on the protocol used to access it. For example a working copy that is located on a Linux machine and is accessed from a Windows machine through Samba is slow because reading a large number of files through Samba is slow. Syncro SVN Client just reads the files from the local file system.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Return to Common Problems