Syncro SVN Client

refreshing takes ages in VPN

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

refreshing takes ages in VPN

Postby fatnjazzy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:18 pm

hi,
im connecting from home to the office and the WC refreshing is taking more than 2 hours.
the connection is fine because im trasfering filed fast.

is it nessesary to refresh the entire WC each time im opening the client?

i want to refresh it when ever i need to.
can you cache the last state?

thanks.
Avi
fatnjazzy

Re: refreshing takes ages in VPN

Postby sorin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 am

Hello,

The refresh operation is done automatically only when a working copy is made the current working copy by selecting it in the combo box on the toolbar. This includes loading the current working copy in the view at startup. The automatic refresh is necessary for displaying in the Working Copy view an up to date status of the current content of the working copy. There is also an implementation issue: building the file tree of the view when you select or add a working copy in the combo box is preferred to caching all the file trees for all the working copies from the combo box due to the very large memory needed for large working copies.

Otherwise a refresh is done only when you request that with the action Refresh available on the toolbar of the Working Copy view and on the Working Copy menu.

If the file transfer operations are fast on a VPN connection but refreshing a working copy on the same VPN connection takes very much (2 hours) we can try to find the cause of the delay by looking in a log file generated by Syncro SVN Client on your copmputer. Please send us an email address for telling you how to enable logging in Syncro SVN Client and for sending us a log file.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Re: refreshing takes ages in VPN

Postby adrian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:50 am

Hi,

Unfortunately the client will always refresh the entire working copy at each start as this is required to determine the local status of all files in the working copy.

I'm guessing the working copy is on a machine at the office and not on the local machine where the SVN Client is running, otherwise it shouldn't have taken so long to refresh it. If my assumption is incorrect and your working copy is on your local machine, give us more details as there might be a different problem.

Subversion working copies are larger than working copies of other version control tools because they also keep a base revision. This implies some extra overhead when dealing with the working copy, but this has been considered acceptable by the original designers since the working copy is assumed to be local(fast access).

What I'm trying to explain is that even if the working copy refresh in question would be skipped, you would still need to synchronize/update the working copy sooner or later and since the working copy is not local, it would still take a lot of time to perform these other operations.

In short, I would recommend using a local working copy and a branch for committing unfinished work from office/home to be able to continue that work from either location by simply updating from that branch.

We are thinking about disabling refresh at start-up and simply refreshing the Working copy tree as you expand, but this is more of a running idea as it implies changing the functionality of a lot of working copy actions.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance.

Regards,
Adrian Buza
Syncro SVN Client support
Adrian Buza
Syncro SVN Client
http://www.syncrosvnclient.com
adrian

Return to Common Problems