Syncro SVN Client

Handling conflicts with non mergable files?

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

Handling conflicts with non mergable files?

Postby therookie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:12 pm

We are managing a Flash project in subversion and we have fla (source) files in a repository next to as (code) files and I would like to know how to handle a conflict with fla files.

For instance, the other dev modifies the fla by adding a few things to it and commits it. I add one thing to it and try to do an update. It shows as conflicted and i get a few files:

file.fla
file.fla.r58
file.fla.r60 (his version that I want)

How come I cant just right click on the file.fla.r60 and 'Mark as Resolved' so that that is the version that I get. (Then I could re-add my changes later)

Thanks!
therookie

Re: Handling conflicts with non mergable files?

Postby sorin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:59 am

Hello,

If you do an Update and both your local working copy and the SVN repository contain a version of that file that is newer than the version from which you started when you you created your new version then these two newer versions (the local one and the repository one) are in conflict. You should do a Synchronize before an Update. If the Synchronize action displays a conflict for that file first you should resolve the conflict and run Mark as Resolved or Override and Update.

If you run Update without Synchronize a conflict is created in the working copy (the files .r58 and .r60). If you run Synchronize first you see the conflict in the Synchronize view and you have the chance to merge the conflicting versions before creating a conflict in the files of the local working copy.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby therookie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

These are non merge able files though. Why cant I just select the fla.rLatestVersion one and say that I want to keep that one?

And anyway, I didn't run the synchronization first so what am I supposed to do?
therookie

Postby sorin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Hello,

The .rLatestVersion is only a temporary file created by Syncro SVN Client to allow you to fix a conflict created by an Update. Right click on the file file.fla in the Working Copy view and select the action Edit Conflict.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby therookie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:41 pm

That wont work as it tries to open the fla files in synchro's editor and you get the 'bad xerces' error.

The best option is to (on the file system) move your .fla file out of the directory (delete the .r## versions etc), perform an update with Synchro (this gets the latest fla from the repo) and then manually merge the files by opening each in Flash and copy/paste assets between them...
therookie

Postby sorin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:13 am

An error 'bad xerces' means that .fla files are associated with the internal XML editor but the .fla file that the action tried to open is not a well formed XML file. If you want only to update to the latest version available on the SVN repository and ignore your local modifications that are not committed yet then you can just run the action Override and Update on the .fla file that is displayed with conflict state (the red icon). That will update the latest revision for that file from the repository and discard your local changes (the files .mine, .r58 and .r60 will be removed). So you can resolve the conflict quickly with just an action of the Synchronize view without manually merge the files.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Return to Common Problems