Syncro SVN Client

"Cannot determine the encoding, possible bad Xerces parser."

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

"Cannot determine the encoding, possible bad Xerces parser."

Postby Uwe Raabe » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:41 pm

I get this message when I try to compare the revisions of a plain text file. It might be related to the fact that the first character in the file is a German Umlaut "Ä". Is there anything I can do about this? It's rather annoying as any comparison of two revisions of this file forces me to confirm the message and select an encoding - two times as both revisions produce this behaviour.
Uwe Raabe

Re: "Cannot determine the encoding, possible bad Xerces parser."

Postby sorin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:22 am

Hello,

It seems your plain text file is parsed as XML file and is associated with an XML editor type. What is the file name? If it does dot have the extension .xml, .xsl, .xsd etc. then it should not be associated by default with an XML editor type. What is the editor type that opens the file when you double click on the file in the Working Copy view or when you right click on the file and select Open With? Make sure it is not one of the XML editors (XML editor, XSL editor, FO editor, etc).

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby Uwe Raabe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 am

Hello Sorin,

the filename is changes.txt and the txt extension is associated with the internal text editor.

When I open another file also named changes.txt which has a plain ASCII character as the first one there is no problem. It occurs only when the first character is chr(196) - well, I didn't check others >127.

If you want, I can send you the file - no secrets inside.

Uwe
Uwe Raabe

Postby sorin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:23 am

Please send the file.

Thank you,
Sorin
sorin

Postby Uwe Raabe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:25 am

Done.
Uwe Raabe

Postby sorin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 am

Hello,

Thank you for the file. It is a text file for which SVN Client tries to use the UTF-8 encoding before other encodings. It should use the default platform encoding which for Windows is Cp1252 and which reads the file without problems. We will fix that in a future version.

As workaround until we fix it please select the Cp1252 encoding from the list of encodings displayed after the error dialog with "Cannot determine the encoding". When comparing two versions of such a file you have to do this twice (for each of the compared versions). Sorry about that, we do not have other workaround. After you select the Cp1252 encoding the two versions are compared correctly.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Return to Common Problems