Syncro SVN Client

Setting up working copies

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

Setting up working copies

Postby paulpsd7 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:10 am

I've already got working local copies of every site we currently have in source control. Some of these copies are large. For that reason, I would like to link an existing working copy with a repository, to avoid having to re-download the entire site. However, it seems this is not allowed with Syncro. Each time I attempt this, I get the following error:

Operation Failed: svn:Failed to add directory 'assets': a versioned directory of the same name already exists.

This directory is the first item encountered when linking the working copy with the repository. Is there any way around this?
paulpsd7

Re: Setting up working copies

Postby Florin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.
I'm affraid I don't understand the concept of "linking an existing working copy with a repository". Is this something related with svn:externals property?! Maybe you can give us some more information about this and what are the steps you are trying to do in Syncro SVN Client.

Best regards,
Florin Avram
Florin

Postby paulpsd7 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Sorry, maybe I'm not using the correct terminology.

I've got a site up on a server. I've got a copy of that same site on my local hard drive. I'm calling this local copy my "working copy."

I want to use SVN on the remote copy without having to download it again. I've already got a working copy on my hard drive. I simply want to connect these two using Syncro. Possible?
paulpsd7

Postby Florin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 am

Hello,

To use SVN clients, you must have a SVN repository where the sites you use should be stored. Having a SVN repository, you can get from it one or more local working copies of any resource from that repository. For this, you must do a checkout operation from a SVN client, like Syncro SVN Client or any other SVN client. By doing this operation, the new local working copy will have the resources you wanted. In every folder where the resources are will also be a folder ".svn" in which is stored information that are used by SVN to work properly.

Now, if the local working copies you say you already have on your local hard drive were created using a SVN client, then in Syncro SVN Client all you have to do is to use the Add/Remove Working Copy from the Working Copy main menu of the application. In the displayed dialog you should hit Add and select the local SVN working copy folder to be added. After doing that, Syncro SVN Client will know what is the repository from where those resources where copied, because of the internal information from the ".svn" folders and there should be no problem.

If all of the above steps are the steps you do, then you should provide us some more information to know what is happening exactly, like:
- what operating system do you use and what is its version;
- what version of Syncro SVN Client do you use;
- with which SVN client where your local working copies created;
- what are the exact steps you do (what options you choose, what actions you do...);
- are you having symbolic links in the resources you have on you local working copies?

If the local working copies you have where not created with a SVN client or they are copied only as simple files (like copying files in a file explorer) then you cannot link them with the server using SVN and for using a SVN client you will have to do the checkout operation, which means downloading them again to have the ".svn" information folders.

Best regards,
Florin Avram
Florin

Postby paulpsd7 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks. Your last paragraph was what I was looking for. My local copies were not created by SVN, so it sounds like I need to download them again.
paulpsd7

Return to Common Problems