Syncro SVN Client

Merging trunk into branch

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

Merging trunk into branch

Postby jdavidson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:33 am

I can't seem to figure this out.. I want to do the equivalent of svn merge ^/trunk where the effect is merging changes made in the trunk to a branch or branches. I see it's easy to do the opposite and I've played around with the Merge Revisions option but can't seem to get it right.

Any thought, direction?
jdavidson

Re: Merging trunk into branch

Postby bacdouglas » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:15 am

I am in the process of merging as well. My working copy is the branch, and I committed/updated the entire directory.

When I began the merge, I selected to reintegrate a branch. My problem is that svn returns "Operation failed: svn: Retrieval of mergeinfo unsupported by 'svn+ssh:// ..."

I did a search and found that this could occur is the client is setup for svn 1.5 and if the repository is setup for svn 1.4. (http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#repos-upgrades)

Does anyone know how to force syncro to act as a svn 1.4 client/

Thanks
bacdouglas

Postby sorin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Hello,

jdavidson wrote:I can't seem to figure this out.. I want to do the equivalent of svn merge ^/trunk where the effect is merging changes made in the trunk to a branch or branches.

Just make sure your changes are committed to the trunk, check out a working copy from the branch, right click on the root of the working copy corresponding to the branch, select Modify -> Merge. In the first panel of the dialog Merge select the option Reintegrate a branch, press Next and in the next panel in the From URL field browse and select the URL of the trunk. In the Target field you should have the working copy corresponding to the branch and you should not change it. Now press Next to merge the changes of the trunk into the branch.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby sorin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello,

bacdouglas wrote:My problem is that svn returns "Operation failed: svn: Retrieval of mergeinfo unsupported by 'svn+ssh:// ..."

Does anyone know how to force syncro to act as a svn 1.4 client

That is not possible with the current version (Syncro SVN Client 4.1) but it is possible with one of the 3.x versions, for example version 3.2. You cannot merge a branch into a trunk in a SVN 1.4 server using a SVN 1.5 client. You should use Syncro SVN Client 3.2 which is compatible with SVN 1.4.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby nidhi.jain » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:27 am

Hi,
I would like to merge the changes on my branch back into the trunk and rebranch again.
I check out my branch from the repository.Click on team->merge and select the second option
reintegrate a branch and then in the from option i put the path of my branch.Click finish.It shows 0 changes made.When i compare my branch to the trunk it still shows all the differences.
What i am doing wrong?
I am using subclipse 1.6.
Thanks
nidhi.jain

Postby sorin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:20 am

Hello,

nidhi.jain wrote:I am using subclipse 1.6.

Please note that this is a forum about Syncro SVN Client, not a Subclipse client.

nidhi.jain wrote:I would like to merge the changes on my branch back into the trunk and rebranch again. I check out my branch from the repository.Click on team->merge and select the second option
reintegrate a branch and then in the from option i put the path of my branch.

You have to apply the Merge action on the working copy of the trunk, not of the branch.

What do you mean by rebranch? Create a new branch from the trunk content after you merged the changes of the branch to the trunk? In that case you have to create a new branch from the current trunk content obtained by the merge operation by selecting the root of the trunk working copy and running the action Branch/Tag.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby therookie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:04 pm

@bacdouglas - Tools > Working copy format > downgrade ...

I checked mine out as a 1.4 version and I still get that error that you posted when I try to merge.

"Operation failed: svn: Retrieval of mergeinfo unsupported..."
therookie

Postby sorin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Thank you therookie for pointing it out. The latest version of Syncro SVN Client (version 5.0) added a Downgrade action that changes the format of the SVN working copy to an older format.

Thank you,
Sorin
sorin

Postby therookie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:38 pm

It is also important to note that you need to use the third option for merging one branch into another if you are not on SVN 1.5+... (we are on 1.4)

I followed the instructions in the userguide for 'Merging two different trees...' and it worked fine.

@sorin - you're welcome :)
therookie

Return to Common Problems