Syncro SVN Client

Repository Display views

Are you missing a feature? Request it's implementation here.

Repository Display views

Postby dkeith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

I would like to request two things:

1) Make it possible to set a root directory for viewing multiple repositories from the parent directory, similar to TortoiseSVN's repository browser. This way instead of entering a repository location, I could enter a directory location, and browse all repositories contained within that root directory.

2) Provide flexibility in the right side view so that I can view EITHER a working copy OR repositories/repository subdirectories on the right side of the display, sort of StarTeam'ish, or similar to the TortoiseSVN repository browser.

I still find myself needing to go to TortoiseSVN from time to time to perform certain tasks or to get a different view of repositories than that which Syncro SVN provides.

Thanks.
dkeith

Re: Repository Display views

Postby Florin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 am

Hello,

1. I'm affraid I did not understand very well the concept you described at this point. Can you be more explicit?! Give us a complete detailed work flow of this feature.

2. StartTeam and TortoiseSVN have a tree presenting the folder structure of a repository/project in the left side, while presenting the selected folder direct children list in the right side, among with some information about every child.
Currently, Syncro SVN Client presents the repositories in the left side and the working copy content in the center (the right side presents the properties of the selected item).
In the next version of Syncro SVN Client, the application interface will be changed and both Repository and Working Copy views are presented in the center, having the same way of presenting resources. Is this what you intended to say?!

Best regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Postby dkeith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Ok, I guess what I meant was, set the repository tree view on the left side to a directory on the server that is not itself a repository, but that contains one or more repositories. Then search for and enumerate a repository tree based on the repositories found in subdirectories of the supplied directory. You could call this a 'Global Repository View' or some such thing. The directory on the server that was searched could be the root of the tree. I guess in some respects this resembles the evil VSS, but I think you could do this with StarTeam as well.

Then, when repositories are found and enumerated on the tree, when I click on a repository in the tree, have the repository subfolders/items display in the center/right pane, similar to StarTeam or Subversion's Repository Viewer.
dkeith

Postby Florin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am

Hi,

I understand now. We will investigate this possibility to see what it assumes and if it can be done, although, from the start I think there may be problems. Think to the possible cases in which you can access a repository (different protocols, different ports etc.). In order to do what you say, we must be able to browse a server directory (using what: http, ftp ?!) and then try to identify if one of its descendants is a SVN repository or not and how it can be accessed. I don't see how to do this, as far as I know about Subversion.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Postby dkeith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 pm

I see your point about FTP & HTTP. I always use svn+ssh, so this makes sense in my context. But even with HTTP, if the path is available to the user, the HTTP path may have browse rights. If not it's an invalid path as far as SyncroSVN is concerned, right?

So in HTTP you either have browse rights to the subfolders of the specified path or you don't. If you don't you can't build a tree of paths since you can't see any, that is a standard HTTP error, like a 404 or something like that.

With FTP, if you can access a path, you list the subpaths and CD into them. If you can't access the path, there is a standard error as well that is returned from FTP i.e. access denied, which again is an invalid path to SyncroSVN.

With SSH, you are working with a protocol not dissimilar to FTP; once you establish a connection with SSH, you either have access to the specified path or you don't. If you do you can list the subdirectories or not. You can probably even do a custom locate with an '.svn' path specifier, something like 'locate -w <root path>', or even use a regular expression.

It seems like a bit of work, but quite possible.
dkeith

Postby dkeith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Here is an example that should work with svn+ssh and the locate command:

locate -r '^/<repo root full path>/.*/db$'
dkeith

Postby Florin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi,

As you said, there will be a bit of work and I don't know if it worths the effort of implementing it. I think that only a very small number of users will ever use this "feature". We will have to introduce other levels/layers for communicating with the server, there will be other problems to be handled etc.

I added an issue on our internal issues tracking tool regarding this request. For now, all I can say is that it will not be implemented for a near future version of Syncro SVN Client. It will be analyzed in the future and we will see if there is a real need for it.

Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Return to Feature requests