Syncro SVN Client

Merging Trunk into a Branch not working

Other Syncro SVN Client issues not covered by the other forums.

Merging Trunk into a Branch not working

Postby YoungSoul » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Everyone

Short Desc: I am trying to merge the trunk version of files into my development branch recursively.

I have read the documents, and I believe I also understood them, and I have looked through the forums and I did see one other post on this same issue.

It seems like no matter what I try, I cannot get the trunk version to merge into my development branch. I can go from the branch to the trunk but apparently not the other way.

Is this a known issue? Is it something I am doing incorrectly?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
YoungSoul

Re: Merging Trunk into a Branch not working

Postby Florin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 am

Hello,

Since you did not provide information about the errors you receive, I'll state the standard way of merging from one branch to another (in your case, from trunk to branch):

• your working copy must be checked out from a branch (this is obvious), and the changes from the trunk will be merged in your working copy and after you can commit them in the branch.

• you must not have modified resources in your working copy. That is, nothing outgoing. Be sure to commit/revert any modified resource before trying to merge.

• have your working copy up-to-date completely. That is, your working copy should be updated to the HEAD revision of the branch. It is not a good idea to have resources to different revisions in your working copy. The whole working copy must be updated to the same revision. Pay attention, Syncro SVN Client presents only the revision in which a resource was last modified. The current working copy revision can be seen if running File Information option for a specific resource.

• must not have switched/relocated resources in your working copy. All resources from the working copy must come from a single point in the repository.

• must not have directories with different depths set. All of them must have all children present (infinity depth).

• the repository, working copy and SVN Client should use Subversion 1.5 or later to be able to keep track of merge information (svn:mergeinfo special property).

Having all the above, you can try to merge. In the Merge wizard of Syncro SVN Client, choose "Reintegrate a branch", select the URL of the trunk (automatically the HEAD revision of it will be used), set options you wish to use and everything should be OK after.

Before running the real merge, you can run a "Test merge" to see what Subversion says. This option can be found in the last page of the wizard.

Further information about merging, including advanced topics about it, you can find in Chapter 4 of SVN Book, at:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/ ... merge.html

Best regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Re: Merging Trunk into a Branch not working

Postby YoungSoul » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Thank you for your response - I was able to get this to work.

I did not mention an error because no real error happened, it just did not merge.

The key piece of information that helped me get this working was:

"Having all the above, you can try to merge. In the Merge wizard of Syncro SVN Client, choose "Reintegrate a branch", select the URL of the trunk (automatically the HEAD revision of it will be used), set options you wish to use and everything should be OK after."

In particular selecting the 'Reintegrate a branch' option. I had been trying to use 'merge two different trees' thinking the 'Reintegrate a branch' was only to be used for moving a branch to the trunk.

Thank you again for your response - it was very helpful.
YoungSoul

Return to Other Issues