Syncro SVN Client

automatically load repo history results on launch?

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

automatically load repo history results on launch?

Postby btully » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm

As I mentioned on a previous post, I'm evaluating SynchroSVN and SmartSVN for an svn GUI on Mac OS X. One thing I can't figure out is how to get SynchroSVN to automatically load the repo revision history in the History panel on launch or selection of a project. Seems like I have to manually select the repo or working copy and select "Show History", and not only that I have to specify which revisions. Even if I select "all revisions" (which takes a while), those entries don't appear to get cached, as the next time I launch SynchroSVN my history panel is empty again. I'm hoping this is not by design and that either I have a bug or just haven't uncovered the mystery to get this functionality. Is this not possible with SyncroSVN?
btully

Re: automatically load repo history results on launch?

Postby sorin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

Hello,

Displaying the revision history of the selected project automatically at startup delays the startup because the history of the project must be requested from the SVN server. If the SVN client builds a cache with the history that cache must be checked and refreshed at every startup and at every change of project because the author or the commit message of any revision from history can be changed in the repository by other SVN user with a SVN client. So a delay is always necessary at startup which does not seem acceptable.

Do you mean displaying automatically a log with the recent transactions of the current user of the SVN client with the SVN server (a file was added to the project in the repository, a new revision of a file was committed to repository, a file was deleted from repository by a commit action, etc )?

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby btully » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi there Sorin. Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the project revision history. I'm surprised this isn't an option as it seems to be a function of every other svn client i've tried. As for the delay, if the log results were cached there should be a way to minimize the delay. The free client svnX loads the updated revision history almost immediately. Perhaps this too can be an option? i.e., if some people are annoyed by the extra delay they can turn off the auto-load of revision history?
btully

Postby sorin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the details. We will consider your suggestion for a future version of SVN client.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Return to Common Problems