Syncro SVN Client

"Manual" externals show up as unversioned

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

"Manual" externals show up as unversioned

Postby WanWizard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 am

Hello,

The product we develop has a core component which is GPL, and stored in the /trunk repository directory. All optional modules are stored in the /modules repository directory, ordered per client. Some of these modules are GPL as well, some are client specific and closed source.

To work for a particular client, we do a checkout of the trunk, and then a separate checkout of all modules of that particular client to the modules directory of the working copy of the trunk. I see this as a manual version of svn:externals, which we can't use because that will taint the trunk code, and will point to parts of the repository that are inaccessible for some users (especially the public who needs the GPL version). Besides that, we need a different set of modules depending on the client we work for.

As the core code is under development as well, we don't want to create a branch for every customer (which would allow us to use svn:externals), because it would mean a lot of extra merge work.

With other SVN clients (we used Tortoise on Windows before moving to your excellent product on Linux) this is not an issue, file status is shown and we can do commits on these 'copied-in' checkouts without problems.

In SyncroSVN however (we use 5.0), the files in these module directories show up as unversioned, and I can't do a commit. If I do a right-click on such a file and select "SVN Information", it shows all the correct information (like the repo URL, author, version, and the file URL point correctly to /modules/clientA/modulename/..., etc).

Can this be fixed (or worked around)?
WanWizard

Re: "Manual" externals show up as unversioned

Postby sorin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Hello,

It is not possible to have a working copy A inside a different working copy B. The property svn:externals was created for that. In Tortoise you don't have to set the property because it seems that Tortoise handles the working copy A as a special folder that is not committed or updated when the working copy B is committed or updated but that is not available in Syncro SVN Client. We will consider adding that for a future version.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby WanWizard » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:13 am

Sorin,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I don't entirely agree with you that svn:externals should be used in this case, since they are written to the repository, and are therefore static and the same for everyone using that repository. To solve that issue, you would have to create a branch for every combination of svn:externals settings that are needed, which would be extremely high maintenance, due to all the merging involved.

I would therefore love to have this feature in the next version of Syncro, it would save me having to switch back to Windows and Tortoise...

Kind regards,
WanWizard
WanWizard

Postby sorin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm

There is another solution: do not set the svn:externals property, check out each module in a working copy in a subfolder of the /modules folder, do not commit the /modules folder to repository and work with the trunk and each module as separate working copies in the Working Copy view. You should add the /modules folder to svn:ignore or add it to the list of global ignores in Preferences -> SVN -- Application global ignores so that the modules are not visible when you work in the trunk working copy. To switch to the working copy of a module just switch the root of the working copy from the combo box of the toolbar of the Working Copy.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin

Postby WanWizard » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello Sorin,

Thanks for the workaround.

It creates a bit of a long WC list, but it works like a charm. I can live with this for the time being. Still hoping for a proper implementation in the next version though.

Thanks again for the wonderful support, this alone paid back for the maintenance pack renewal of this morning... :)

Kind regards,
WanWizard
WanWizard

Return to Common Problems