Syncro SVN Client

History View: edit file / copy path

Are you missing a feature? Request it's implementation here.

History View: edit file / copy path

Postby kevinfolz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 am

Environment:
I have an up to date working copy with no uncommitted changes at revision 5.
I select the working copy tab
I select my main project folder 'root'
I select the history tab
I select a revision, and list of files that changed are shown below.

If I right click on one of those files, it would be nice to 'copy local path', or an option to 'open local copy' in an internal editor/using system default.

Currently there is an "open" button, but that opens a oxy_tmp_menus_#####.cpp which is useful, but not good for finding said file. Simply, "if working_copy_repository=history_repository then file=local else file=temp" as I understand the history tab can be used outside of a working copy.

The 'compare with previous revision' also has this missing feature, if I am comparing the (HEAD, 5) vs revision 4, I cannot edit the HEAD file (as its opened in internal editor read only), perhaps introduce an if statement "if not working_copy_rev=compared_rev then read-only"

The use case for this is, my co-worker just committed a file, and made a mistake, in \root\f1\f2\f3\f4\f5\file.name it would be nice to have a way to quickly jump to that file to make some changes without looking for it. Any of the above techniques would help greatly.

Thanks,
If you have any questions, please ask.
kevinfolz

Re: History View: edit file / copy path

Postby Florin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 am

Hi,

History information from Subversion is not linked in any way with local files (from working copy). Even if we request history for a working copy file, Subversion uses its repository URL, since the whole history is kept inside the repository. Any history information contains only the repository path of the resource for which requesting history.

Thus, allowing Open/Copy local path on files presented in the History view assumes we have to search and identify local files that have corresponding repository URL as in the History view. But, this may not work every time. For example, if a file you have in your working copy has been moved in the repository, there may be no local file with the new URL (and there are another few similar situations, in which the structure of the working copy is not the same as the one in the repository - for example using old revisions across which file structure changes were made).

The Open action from the History view is used to open the selected file from the repository (using repository URL), as it was in the selected revision. A copy of that file is brought locally, in a temporary file - the one you see in the Editor's title.
And yes, the History view can present information for resources selected in Working Copy view, Repositories view, Revision Graph view, and for the ones presented in the History view itself (everything based on the selected resource's repository URL).

Regarding the Compare with previous version, this is done in terms of the information available in the History view. As told previously, History information is not linked with local files, it is based and contains only repository URLs. So, this action instructs SVN to compare URL@selectedRevision with URL@selectedRevision-1.

I've created entries for your feature requests on our internal issue tracking tool and you will be notified when any of them will be available.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Postby kevinfolz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification, there are a lot of challenges with that feature, most notably when two checkouts from the same repo at different depths. So its understandable if it doesn't get implemented.

The simplistic happy medium solution, allow the user to copy the repository 'PATH' as displayed in the history view, so "/trunk/src/product/file.txt" would copy "\trunk\src\product\file.txt" on a windows machine or raw (mac/linux) then the user could manually go to their SVN root and append this to the path.
kevinfolz

Postby Florin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi,

Since Syncro SVN Client works with only one working copy at a time, we could implement this in the context of the currently loaded working copy.

Regarding the Copy operation, this needs to be implemented in the History view. Now, if you use Ctrl + C, it only copies the exact repository path (with '/') for multiple times (the standard behavior of the table component).
Also, we plan to add export in different formats with History information.

All these improvements will be done in a future version of Syncro SVN Client.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Return to Feature requests