Syncro SVN Client

Correct process for importing a new working copy

Having trouble installing Syncro SVN Client? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.

Correct process for importing a new working copy

Postby paulhobbs » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:58 am

Hi there,

I am having trouble with getting a fresh working copy imported into a repository.

On my PC, when I start working on a new project, all the new files go into a new dedicated folder. The way I work is to start by developing v1 first. The general structure of my workspace is:

--Development
------Customer 1
----------Project 1
----------Project 2
------Customer 2
----------Project 1
----------Project 2

So, I will create a new project for a customer, populate the new project folder with files I have developed, and at that point I want to place the project under version control. Here are the steps I am following - perhaps someone can tell me where I am going wrong:

0. Create the project folder and populate it with files, etc. I call this step 0 because at this stage there is no repository or version control.
1. Create a new repository at Beanstalk (we use Beanstalk as our hosted Subversion provider)
2. In Syncro SVN Client, add the new repo location
3. Right click the new repo, and select Import Folder Content
4. Browse to the project folder I have just created and populated (from step 0 above)
5. The files etc are successfully imported to the repo - I can login to the Beanstalk interface, and see all the files which have been uploaded
6. In Syncro SVN Client, open the Working Copies Manager, and click Add
7. Give the new Working copy a name, and browse to the project folder I have just imported, and select it

At this point I get the error saying "Directory not under version control"

How do I get the directory which I have just imported to be under version control?

Cheers,

Paul
paulhobbs

Re: Correct process for importing a new working copy

Postby Florin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:27 am

Hi,

The only issue is step #7.

Import only copies in the repository the resources indicated by you. But, it does not act in any way on them.
Checkout is the only operation which creates a working copy (locally versioned data).

The problem is that you expect to have a working copy from the imported folder, when it is only copied in the repository, but not converted to a working copy.

What you need:
  1. either you make a checkout, after importing data in the repository (the old way);
  2. either use Share Project, added in Syncro SVN Client 7.2.
    This option makes everything you need:
    • imports data in the repository;
    • converts the local folder structure to a working copy (versioned data);
    ... and minimizes the network traffic, which else would be if using import + checkout, and reduces the amount of time needed to obtain the same result.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin

Re: Correct process for importing a new working copy

Postby paulhobbs » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:30 am

Hi Florin,

Option 2 seems to be perfect - I just tested it and it works great.

Thx for the quick response.

Cheers,

Paul
paulhobbs

Return to Common Problems