Page 1 of 1

DiffDir Locking Up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am
by davegarratt
I have a elipse java project and I use DiffDir to compare my eclipse working directory with the svn checked out directory. The program gets to comparing file 2110 of 2118 and then progress stops, CPU max's out and I have to kill off the program. I have see the same problem when running under OSX and Linux. If I change the filter to look at only .java files instead of *.* it works. As there are a lot of potential files how can I determine which file is causing the problem ?

Re: DiffDir Locking Up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 pm
by Florin

Can you tell us what version of Diff Directories do you use?
Also, what settings are you using for comparing directories:
  • look at Diff -> Directories Comparison option page: Compare files by option (if Content option is selected, tell us what options are in that option page also - it should indicate to Files Comparison)
  • is Look in archives enabled?

Regarding the possibility to identify what file could be the problem:
  • being at 2110 of 2118, it is likely that the file to be one of the last files in the directory selected for comparison, or one of the child files of one of the last child directories of the compared directory (depending on the structure of the directory selected for comparison). Mainly, the algorithm is to obtain the list of children for a given directory (child directories and files) from the filesystem, sort them by name (directories first, files after) and do this deep, for the full structure. If you have more than 8-9 files direct children of selected directory, it is possible that one of them to have problems. If not, one of the files in the last child directories has a problem.
    Starting from this, you could try to identify which file causes program to stop by removing directories one by one.
  • another approach is to do a search in the filesystem (from Windows Explorer, Mac Finder) and eliminate the files with a type for which the files number is the biggest (assume you have 50 .java files and 30 .class files, eliminate the .java files) and compare again. In this way, you can identify what file type is causing the issue.

The whole idea is to try to minimize as much as possible the compared structures. If you can do that, you could archive the resulting structures and send them to our support e-mail address ( to see what is making application to stop working.

Best regards,
Florin Avram
Syncro SVN Client Team